Dr. Bridget O'Connell
610-847-5131, ext. 4024
Welcome back to school for the 2012-13 school year in Palisades! This year marks a number of new beginnings for our district and I am thrilled to serve as the educational leader at Palisades for my second year as your Superintendent.
I am happy to share that we have recently completed the initial development of our Comprehensive Plan which sets the direction for our school district for the next three years. Although a requirement by the Pennsylvania Department of Education, our Comprehensive Plan is more than just a document that sits on a shelf. The new mission and vision statements developed by our Comprehensive Planning Team truly give meaning to our methods and strategies in the education of our students at Palisades – this is the collaborative culture that we embrace in our district. Our new mission and vision are:
Inspired to lead. Prepared to succeed.
Palisades School District is a community of learners. Working collaboratively, we will provide a safe, enriching environment wherein all students can achieve academic excellence and demonstrate leadership.
This detailed vision includes the following core characteristics that will fall within our belief statements and action plans. Through the implementation of our plan, we will focus on:
· Communication skills
· Intellectual curiosity and creativity
· Independent problem-solving
· Cultural understanding for civic and global engagement
· Self-awareness and self-evaluation
· Development of respect for self, individuals and diversity
I am proud of the work that has been completed by our Comprehensive Planning Team thus far. Special thanks to the 35 team members – including business leaders, school board members, parents, teachers, administrators, staff and students - who helped us to develop our Comprehensive Plan.
There are four main focus areas named below. Through extensive community involvement and a commitment by all who become involved in our planning, the goals of our Comprehensive Plan can be realized. The focus areas are:
· Academic Excellence – review of curriculum, instruction, and assessment, on-line learning opportunities, and interventions for student success.
· Leadership Development – focus is on programming to develop leadership qualities and opportunities in and for our students.
· Community Engagement – promote active involvement by community members in our schools.
· Enriching Environment – foster student wellness and bullying prevention.
This new Plan affords us the platform to re-examine our practices and approaches to learning, to provide new and exciting opportunities for our students, and to strengthen student performance to a higher level. I am sure that you will join me in supporting the efforts of those involved and will provide your input if you are interested in doing so.
Thank you for your continued support of our staff and students. I look forward to seeing you throughout the year at one of our many district events or meetings!
Dr. Bridget O’Connell